Detroit Masonic Temple has 14 floors, 1037 rooms. It is the largest Masonic temple all over the world. It has a glorious history with the contributions of George Washington and Jack White.
The foundation of the Detroit Masonic Temple was placed on September 19, 1922. The cornerstone was used the same trowel that George Washington used during the construction of the capital in Washington D.C.
George Mason & Company designed the Masonic Detroit Temple which was constructed on Bagg Street, the street was later renamed, for more suitable, Temple Avenue. In 1939, This temple became the largest Masonic temple all over the world, when the towering Masonic Temple Building of Chicago was constructed in 1892 with 21 floors – was destroyed.
The Detroit Masonic temple is designed in neo-gothic architecture, inside the specialized rooms, including classical Masonic and modern amenities. The temple has 3 theaters, in which the largest theater has a capacity of 4650 seats, a drill hall with 17500 square foot; there are 8 Craft Lodge Rooms and a Shrine building; a chapel and a Royal Arch room; and two ballrooms for Eyes Wide Shut-style gatherings.
In addition, when the Royal, Knights Templar, Select Master, other Masonic members are fed up with all these ritual, mystical stuff. They could use a temple’s cafeteria, a barber shop, a swimming pool, the handball pitches, gyms, pool hall, 16 bowling alleys. Therefore, if you wanted to watch a handball match by Knights Templar, you would know where should to go.
The Temple was allegedly confiscated in April 2013 because it owed $152000 in Wayne County taxes. At first, the Masonic Temple paid $10,000 and promised to pay the remain ASAP; However, the temple received $142,000 from an anonymous donor for paying the remaining tax. 2 months later, it was revealed that the sponsor was none other than Jack White of the White Stripes.
Jack is a Detroit native, he frequently visited the Detroit Masonic Temple when Jack was young. His mother was an usher there; the temple had given her this job when she desperately needed a work. One of its theaters was renamed the Jack White Theater in recognition of his generosity.